In a previous post, we have listed and discussed MCHS Sixties students, alumni, and teachers who have passed away.
At the MCHS ’60s Reunion on Oct. 17, 2015 at Old Mill Toronto, we will have a display of photos and texts, with as complete a list as we are able to put together prior to the event.
Please contact us is there are any corrections or additions to the provisional list. Please let us know of any spelling corrections.
If you know how we can get in touch with Jack Mullaste’s widow, Jeanie, please let us know. Jack was friends with many people from MCHS, in the years after graduation. I knew him when I was a child and adolescent, since we were both members of the Estonian community in Montreal.
A discussion thread regarding this post can be found at the Malcolm Campbell High School Grads Facebook Group:
The above-noted post has extensive discussion concerning MCHS alumni who have passed away.
Links to three MCHS Facebook Groups including the MCHS ’60s Reunion Group can be accessed here.
1. Jenning Dai
2. Leo Hoyos
3. Eva Hoyos
7. Steven Suter
8. Jeffrey Habberfield
9. Brian Habberfield
10. Steve Troester
11. Jason Fistouris
12. Ulrike Amarica
13. Michael Fehringer (graduated 1965, died 1972)
14. Frank Deacur (graduated 1970, died 2012).
15. Floyd Creatchman (passed away 2003)
16. Eric Ginsberg (passed away 2002)
17. Irwin Zoltak
18. Teddy Jacobson
19. Allan Wade
20. Chris Wade
21. Brenda Mason (car accident)
22. Annie Sinay (car accident)
23. Jennifer Margot MacLaughlin, Class of 68
24. Jim McGowan, teacher
25. Jack Leroy, vice-principal
26. Jack (Jaak) Mullaste, MCHS ’63, 11F, passed away on on January 18, 2005. A number of his friends including Howard Hight of Boston who knew him well are seeking to get in touch with his widow Jeanie. If you can help in that quest please contact Jaan Pill at email@example.com
27. Elaine Hughes passed away on May 28, 2004 from cancer.
28. Louie Berna is another MCHS grad who has passed away.
29. Jan Barclay, Class of ’68, passed away in April 1992 from cancer, leaving behind her husband Chuck and children Seonaid and Lochlann
30. Richard Moore, son of Dickie Moore, died at age 16 in a tragic car accident on the Laurentian Autoroute on Aug. 23, 1973. He was on his way back from his cottage. It had been raining. His car hit a concrete arch on the Autoroute near Laval. His classmates graduated in 1974.
31. Lynda Moodie (Class of 67)
32. Robert McMaster (Class of 69)
33. Ketia Penny
34. Peter Parsons (Class of 69)
35. Stephen Searle (Class of 69)
36. Ruth Ann Morris (Class of 71)
37. Elizabeth W. Crone passed away in November 2013 at the age of 92. She taught English and history at MCHS from 1963 to 1967 when she transferred to Riverdale. We owe thanks to Mrs. Crone’s son, Robert Crone (Class of 71 and Morison School alumnus), for sharing these details with us.
38. Jack Mackenzie who taught math at MCHS passed away back in the 1980s. Jack Mackenzie and his wife were avid photographers.
39. Mrs. Meeks passed away 2 or 3 years ago (as of 2015) in Ottawa. You can access her obituary here.
40. Rodney Gosselin, MCHS Class of 71 and Morison alumnus, passed away about 5 years ago. Robert Crone (Class of 71) reports: “Rodney Gosselin was a big quiet fellow I’d known since kindergarten. We sat together at dinner at the big Y2K reunion. Rodney retired from his job on a Friday about 4 years ago… he passed away in his sleep that night and was dead before he could enjoy the first day of his retirement.”
41. Bryan Thompson (Class of 68)
42. Pamela Gardiner Chapatis (Class of 63). Pam passed away in September 2005 at age 59 from cancer in Ottawa, Ontario.
43. Janneke Vander Baaren (Class of 67? – we await confirmation) died in 2008 of brain cancer.
44. Barry Catel (Class of 71) died in Oct 1974 in motorcycle accident.
45. Donald Hylands (class of 72) died on Nov. 30, 1974, while attending Guelph University, of leukemia.
46. Marty Butler (Class of 62) died on Feb. 10, 1995.
47. Michael Caluori – Class of 69 passed away
[I will catch up on adding a few other names as well. My apologies for the delay. My plate is full with volunteer work. Which I don’t mind. But it means that some things take time. Your patience is appreciated. Please drive safely.]
48. We look forward to help with fact-checking related to the following Comment from Lynne (see her Comment below): “Heard that Michael Archambeau ’71 and Jane Galler ’71 also died. Cannot confirm details but John Kovac may know. Also Jamie Hoddess (’71).”
49. Gerald Chernabrow, passed March 14, 2013.
50. Victoria (Vicki) Karalis, who attended Ahuntsic School and graduated from Malcolm in 1967. Passed away in 1983.
51. Richard Snow (class of ’65 or ’66) passed away in a car accident November 19, 2009.
52. David Godsell, class of ’67. Passed away on July 29th, 2004 from cancer.
53. Debbie Campbell passed away from leukemia in Grade 10 during the 1967-68 school year.
54. Carole Kubes (1969 grad) passed away in May 2014.
55. Malcolm McLean Kelly passed away on June 16, 2015 at the age of 86. Malcolm was a high school science teacher. He taught in Scotland until he was recruited by the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal and came to Malcolm Campbell High School, where he taught for over 25 years, and was Head of the Science Department, until it closed, after which he taught at Sir Winston Churchill until his retirement. Source: Online obituary at J.F. Cardinal Funeral Home.
56. Vernon Ikeda, class of ’78, passed away on July 14, 2014. His obituary can be accessed here.
57. MCHS history teacher Bob Hill passed away on June 18, 2015. Click on link in previous sentence for a post about Bob Hill.
58. Penny McCormick, who went to MCHS, passed away in January 2014.
59. Tom von Eicken (11B, 1962; married to Linda Chow) passed away in Anshan, China on May 6, 2003, after a year and a half of teaching and travelling throughout China.
60. Linda Chow (11E, 1963; married to Tom von Eicken) passed away on March 31, 1998.
61. Bonnie Wilson (MCHS ’64) died on May 6, 2014.
62. Jo-Ann Brodeur (MCHS ’73) has passed away.
63. Karin Lambertz died of cancer on December 22, 2013 in Phoenix Arizona.
65. Alan Gough passed away in 1993; he attended MCHS from 1961 – 1965.
66. Melanie Gough Legg passed away in 1999; she attended MCHS from 1968 – 1971.
Alan and Melanie’s sister, Susan (Gough) Schneider, adds: “I posted previously about Alan and Melanie Gough, Alan died of a heart attack from complications of his Type 1 diabetes, and Melanie passed away from breast cancer, she fought hard until the end, as she left a set of 13 old twin girls, and a 15 year old son. I miss them dearly.”
67. MCHS Alumna Marilyn Moens has passed away.
68. MCHS Alumnus Allan McEwan has passed away.
69. MCHS Alumna Doreen Smith has passed away.
70. MCHS Alumna Kay Brick has passed away.
Cheryl Phaneuf notes: “I know of four MCHS alumni that have passed. These friends are not recent deaths but I do appreciate the opportunity to remember them by name : Marilyn Moens; Allan McEwan; Doreen Smith; and Kay Brick. All lived in my Montreal North neighbourhood – cherished high school friends.”
71. Gary Tinker passed away some years ago.
72. Bonnie Greer passed away some years ago.
73. Lynne Campbell passed away in Belleville, Ontario some years ago.
74. Louis Hodess passed away on January 23, 2013.
75. Jayne Galler Berman, MCHS graduate and wife of MCHS grad Bob Berman, passed away on September 4, 2012 .
76. Margaret Smeall, class of ’63, died about 1977 (aneurism).
77. David MacRitchie, class of ’63, died August 11, 2003.
78. Metha Bos, class of ’63, died August 14, 2014.
79. Fred Ramcharam, a teacher that one student remembers as being a very kind man, passed away some years ago.
80. Louis Elvin [spelling? I will check], who who taught cello and conducted the orchestra, passed away some years ago.
81. Mannie Destounis passed away on February 9, 1978.
82. Mike Savaas passed away some years ago.
83. Pam Ireland-Mason died in July 2015.
84. Nelson Hughes (MCHS ’63) passed away three or four years ago.
85. Dave Henderson (MCHS ’64) passed away in 1993.
86. Sheila Booth has passed way, in the Vancouver area.
87. Sheila’s brother Craig Booth has passed away as well.
88. Grace Lesniak (MCHS ’73) passed away from cancer on July 25, 2000.
89. Christine Attallah passed in 2012 after a horseback riding mishap.
90. Diane French (MCHS ’63) passed away in 2000 at age 55.
91. Gordon Gilmour, phys ed teacher, passed away some years ago.
92. Roger Pierlet (MCHS ’68) died in March 1974 in the line of duty as an RCMP constable.
93. Richard Alan Holmes b. July 24, 1944 in Edmonton, Alberta – d. May 27, 2010, Pointe Claire, Quebec.
94. Malcolm Campbell, after whom the school is named, passed away in 1963.
95. Bob Saul, MCHS math teacher and administrator, passed away on Dec. 24, 2015.
96. Krista LUNIN (later known as LEE) died June 30, 2010.
97. Bob Seto in a Facebook post has shared the following message: “Katherine Seto Evans, MCHS class of 68, passed away Saturday morning, March 12, 2016 in Toronto. Kathy and husband Gary Evans met at MCHS in grade 8 and married in 1972 upon graduating from McGill University. They have two sons, Matthew and Ryan.”
98. Margaret Smail passed away in Toronto on July 4, 1988.
99. Charles John Mermelstein (“Charlie”), born December 21, 1953, passed away May 24, 2009.
100. Peter Lupsity passed away in 2007. You can access his obituary here.
101. A Facebook post on April 11, 2017 has informed us that Jimmy Davlouros has recently passed away of a heart issue.
102. John Knopp (class of 1981) passed away on May 22, 2017 at the age of 53 at his home in Mississauga.
103. Ellsworth Ritch passed away in 2009.
104. Grace Wong passed away in 2013.
We remember them all. They remain in our thoughts and memories.