Remembering John W. Scott, Gok-Gee Wing, and other MCHS students who have passed away
The discussion continues at a subsequent post:
I have made a spelling correction for “Hoyos” and have added Eva Hoyos, who died tragically in a car accident, to the list along with other names based on additions shared through comments – in particular on Facebook – that we have received since the original version, of the text you are now reading, was posted. I have added several additional names and will add more based on information that has arrived from many sources to date. We much appreciate the help we have been getting in development of the list.
The many references to car accidents has strongly taken hold of my attention. It made me think of my own experiences with driving over the years, and the imperative of attending closely to what we do or don’t do when we ourselves are behind the wheel.
MCHS alumna Nancy Renz (MCHS 68) has shared with us the following note: “Just a short message to add to the list of MCHS deaths. My friend Jennifer Margot MacLaughlin Class of 68 passed away some years ago from cancer. I gave my 68 Annual to her son Andrew [Dawson] so he could see her photos.” Nancy adds: “See you at the reunion!!!”
As well, I’ve begun to list teachers who have passed away.
As always, we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of our information. In some cases, this involves seeking out of corroboration such as through obituary notices.
A discussion thread regarding this post can be found at the Malcolm Campbell High School Grads Facebook Group:
The above-noted post has extensive discussion concerning MCHS alumni who have passed away.
Links to three MCHS Facebook Groups including the MCHS ’60s Reunion Group can be accessed here.
[End of updates]
As part of our planning for the MCHS ’60s Reunion & Celebration of the ’60s, we are developing a list of alumni and teachers who have passed away.
We request your help in development of the list.
[I want to add: I wish to share my sincere thanks to all of the MCHS alumni who have assisted us in adding names to the list. Your help is very much appreciated. If you know of any additional names, please contact me.]
To add names to the list, of MCHS students and teachers who have passed away, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to have a display at the reunion, of photos and brief texts, in remembrance of MCHS alumni (and teachers) from the ’60s era who have passed away.
Below is the start of a list (please let me know in the event of misspelled names):
1. Jenning Dai
2. Leo Hoyos
3. Eva Hoyos
7. Steven Suter
8. Jeffrey Habberfield
9. Brian Habberfield
10. Steve Troester
11. Jason Fistouris
12. Ulrike Amarica
13. Michael Fehringer (graduated 1965, died 1972)
14. Frank Deacur (graduated 1970, died 2012).
15. Floyd Creatchman (passed away 2003)
16. Eric Ginsberg (passed away 2002)
17. Irwin Zoltak
18. Teddy Jacobson
19. Allan Wade
20. Chris Wade
21. Brenda Mason (car accident)
22. Annie Sinay (car accident)
23. Jennifer Margot MacLaughlin, Class of 68
24. Jim McGowan, teacher
25. Jack Leroy, vice-principal
26. Jack (Jaak) Mullaste, MCHS ’63, 11F, passed away on on January 18, 2005. A number of his friends including Howard Hight of Boston who knew him well are seeking to get in touch with his widow Jeanie. If you can help in that quest please contact Jaan Pill at email@example.com
27. Elaine Hughes passed away on May 28, 2004 from cancer.
28. Louie Berna is another MCHS grad who has passed away.
29. Jan Barclay, Class of ’68, passed away in April 1992 from cancer, leaving behind her husband Chuck and children Seonaid and Lochlann
30. Richard Moore, son of Dickie Moore, died at age 16 in a tragic car accident on the Laurentian Autoroute on Aug. 23, 1973. He was on his way back from his cottage. It had been raining. His car hit a concrete arch on the Autoroute near Laval. His classmates graduated in 1974.
31. Lynda Moodie (Class of 67)
32. Robert McMaster (Class of 69)
33. Ketia Penny
34. Peter Parsons (Class of 69)
35. Stephen Searle (Class of 69)
36. Ruth Ann Morris (Class of 71)
37. Elizabeth W. Crone passed away in November 2013 at the age of 92. She taught English and history at MCHS from 1963 to 1967 when she transferred to Riverdale. We owe thanks to Mrs. Crone’s son, Robert Crone (Class of 71 and Morison School alumnus), for sharing these details with us.
38. Jack Mackenzie who taught math at MCHS passed away back in the 1980s. Jack Mackenzie and his wife were avid photographers.
39. Mrs. Meeks passed away 2 or 3 years ago (as of 2015) in Ottawa. You can access her obituary here.
40. Rodney Gosselin, MCHS Class of 71 and Morison alumnus, passed away about 5 years ago. Robert Crone (Class of 71) reports: “Rodney Gosselin was a big quiet fellow I’d known since kindergarten. We sat together at dinner at the big Y2K reunion. Rodney retired from his job on a Friday about 4 years ago… he passed away in his sleep that night and was dead before he could enjoy the first day of his retirement.”
41. Bryan Thompson (Class of 68)
42. Pamela Gardiner Chapatis (Class of 63). Pam passed away in September 2005 at age 59 from cancer in Ottawa, Ontario.
43. Janneke Vander Baaren (Class of 67? – we await confirmation) died in 2008 of brain cancer.
44. Barry Catel (Class of 71) died in Oct 1974 in motorcycle accident.
45. Donald Hylands (class of 72), died on Nov. 30, 1974, while attending Guelph University, of leukemia.
46. Marty Butler (Class of 62) died on Feb. 10, 1995.
47. Michael Caluori – Class of 69 passed away
[I will catch up on adding a few other names as well. My apologies for the delay. My plate is full with volunteer work. Which I don’t mind. But it means that some things take time. Your patience is appreciated. Please drive safely.]
48. We look forward to help with fact-checking related to the following Comment from Lynne H.: “Heard that Michael Archambeau ’71 and Jane Galler ’71 also died. Cannot confirm details but John Kovac may know. Also Jamie Hoddess (’71).”
49. Gerald Chernabrow, passed March 14, 2013.
50. Victoria (Vicki) Karalis, who attended Ahuntsic School and graduated from Malcolm in 1967. Passed away in 1983.
51. Richard Snow (class of ’65 or ’66) passed away in a car accident November 19, 2009.
52. David Godsell, class of ’67. Passed away on July 29th, 2004 from cancer.
53. Debbie Campbell passed away from leukemia in Grade 10 during the 1967-68 school year.
54. Carole Kubes (1969 grad) passed away in May 2014.
55. Malcolm McLean Kelly passed away on June 16, 2015 at the age of 86. Malcolm was a high school science teacher. He taught in Scotland until he was recruited by the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal and came to Malcolm Campbell High School, where he taught for over 25 years, and was Head of the Science Department, until it closed, after which he taught at Sir Winston Churchill until his retirement. Source: Online obituary at J.F. Cardinal Funeral Home.
56. Vernon Ikeda, class of ’78, passed away on July 14, 2014. His obituary can be accessed here.
57. MCHS history teacher Bob Hill passed away on June 18, 2015. Click on link in previous sentence for a post about Bob Hill.
58. Penny McCormick, who went to MCHS, passed away in January 2014.
59. Tom von Eicken (11B, 1962; married to Linda Chow) passed away in Anshan, China on May 6, 2003, after a year and a half of teaching and travelling throughout China.
60. Linda Chow (11E, 1963; married to Tom von Eicken) passed away on March 31, 1998.
61. Bonnie Wilson (MCHS ’64) died on May 6, 2014.
62. Jo-Ann Brodeur (MCHS ’73) has passed away.
63. Karin Lambertz died of cancer on December 22, 2013 in Phoenix Arizona.
65. Alan Gough passed away in 1993; he attended MCHS from 1961 – 1965.
66. Melanie Gough Legg passed away in 1999; she attended MCHS from 1968 – 1971.
Alan and Melanie’s sister, Susan (Gough) Schneider, adds: “I posted previously about Alan and Melanie Gough, Alan died of a heart attack from complications of his Type 1 diabetes, and Melanie passed away from breast cancer, she fought hard until the end, as she left a set of 13 old twin girls, and a 15 year old son. I miss them dearly.”
67. MCHS Alumna Marilyn Moens has passed away.
68. MCHS Alumnus Allan McEwan has passed away.
69. MCHS Alumna Doreen Smith has passed away.
70. MCHS Alumna Kay Brick has passed away.
Cheryl Phaneuf notes: “I know of four MCHS alumni that have passed. These friends are not recent deaths but I do appreciate the opportunity to remember them by name : Marilyn Moens; Allan McEwan; Doreen Smith; and Kay Brick. All lived in my Montreal North neighbourhood – cherished high school friends.”
71. Gary Tinker passed away some years ago.
72. Bonnie Greer passed away some years ago.
73. Lynne Campbell passed away in Belleville, Ontario some years ago.
74. Louis Hodess passed away on January 23, 2013.
75. Jayne Galler Berman, MCHS graduate and wife of MCHS grad Bob Berman, passed away on September 4, 2012.
76. Margaret Smeall, class of ’63, died about 1977 (aneurism).
77. David MacRitchie, class of ’63, died August 11, 2003.
78. Metha Bos, class of ’63, died August 14, 2014.
79. Fred Ramcharam, a teacher that one student remembers as being a very kind man, passed away some years ago.
80. Louis Elvin [spelling? I will check], who who taught cello and conducted the orchestra, passed away some years ago.
81. Mannie Destounis passed away on February 9, 1978.
82. Mike Savaas passed away some years ago.
83. Pam Ireland-Mason died in July 2015.
84. Nelson Hughes (MCHS ’63) passed away three or four years ago.
85. Dave Henderson (MCHS ’64) passed away passed away in 1993.
86. Sheila Booth has passed way, in the Vancouver area.
87. Sheila’s brother Craig Booth has passed away as well.
88. Grace Lesniak (MCHS ’73) passed away from cancer on July 25, 2000.
89. Christine Attallah passed in 2012 after a horseback riding mishap.
90. Diane French (MCHS ’63) passed away in 2000 at age 55.
91. Gordon Gilmour, phys ed teacher, passed away some years ago.
92. Roger Pierlet (MCHS ’68) died in March 1974 in the line of duty as an RCMP constable.
93. Richard Alan Holmes b. July 24, 1944 in Edmonton, Alberta – d. May 27, 2010, Pointe Claire, Quebec.
94. Malcolm Campbell, after whom the school is named, passed away in 1963.
95. Bob Saul, MCHS math teacher and administrator, passed away on Dec. 24, 2015.
96. Krista LUNIN (later known as LEE) died June 30, 2010.
97. Bob Seto in a Facebook post has shared the following message: “Katherine Seto Evans, MCHS class of 68, passed away Saturday morning, March 12, 2016 in Toronto. Kathy and husband Gary Evans met at MCHS in grade 8 and married in 1972 upon graduating from McGill University. They have two sons, Matthew and Ryan.”
98. Margaret Smail passed away in Toronto on July 4, 1988.
99. Charles John Mermelstein (“Charlie”), born December 21, 1953, passed away May 24, 2009.
100. Peter Lupsity passed away in 2007. You can access his obituary here.
101. A Facebook post on April 11, 2017 has informed us that Jimmy Davlouros has recently passed away of a heart issue.
102. John Knopp (class of 1981) passed away on May 22, 2017 at the age of 53 at his home in Mississauga.
103. Ellsworth Ritch passed away in 2009.
104. Grace Wong passed away in 2013.
105. Sheldon Mazoff passed away in 2017.
106. Alfred Joseph (Kalkapersad) Ramcharan, born 07 September 1923, in Victoria, Trinidad and Tobago, passed away on 10 March 1988 in Montreal. His career as a math teacher is celebrated in a post entitled: Ken Kingsbury is doing research on Alfred Ramcharan, who was a teacher at Malcolm Campbell High School.
107. Sheldon Mazoff passed away in February 2017.
108. Gerry (Gerald) Chernabrow, who graduated about 1974, passed away in 2013.
109. Garry Halpert (1926-2018), who taught English and history at MCHS in the early 1960s, passed away on April 5, 2018. An April. 11, 2018 obituary at the Montreal Gazette can be accessed here. A post at this website, featuring a photo and text from the obituary can be accessed here.
111. MCHS 1960s grad Kyle Lawrence has passed away.
112. Camil Amarica Jr. (MCHS 1971; he also attended Morison School) has passed away.
113. Joelle King, sister of Nikki King, passed away in Ormond Beach, Florida Feb, 23, 2019 at 4:20 AM at the age of 71. Joelle was in MCHS 1962-63 Miss McCormick’s class XIA.
114. Anais Goudsouzian, class of 1972, passed away suddenly from a heart attack in the 1990s. We are not sure of the exact year.
115. Evelyn Christel Erika Worner (Kahlow) passed away peacefully, with family by her side, on Monday, December 2, 2019 at St. Mary’s General Hospital in Kitchener at the age of 71. Evelyn went to Morison Elementary and Malcolm High School (1962-1966).
116. George Allan, who taught at MCHS in the 1960s, passed away on May 15, 2020.
The list is provisional. I used the terms “passed away” and “died” interchangeably. At times, what I report is a quotation or statement that someone has made, with the explicit understanding that it’s not a first-hand account, based on first-hand evidence, that I am sharing. Whenever possible, in cases where the report is not by a close friend or family member, I like to go with corroborated evidence using reports from several sources.
A previous post, which focuses on Heinz Schlutz, is entitled:
In the post, Barry Anderson writes:
“Hello MCHSers. I am a 1964 graduate. In 1979, Heinz Schlutz organized a reunion in Montreal for the 11A class. He sent cassette tapes to those grads, including me, who were unable to attend. At the reunion, Heinz played the tapes, which briefly summarized, generally with humour, the fifteen years since graduation. Heinz then set out with his dog to visit those of us unable to attend and share information on our classmates, carefully organized by location, career, number of children, etc. It was obviously a labour of love for Heinz, who passed away shortly thereafter.
“I wanted to share this story with other MCHS graduates as a tribute to Heinz. Many of you will remember his mother, who was a Vice Principal at the school.”
[End of text]
We have shared our memories of Jenning Dai at a May 31, 2014 post entitled:
At the post we shared the following text:
“Jenning Dai was in my class at Malcolm Campbell High School when we graduated in 1963.
“He died exactly 50 years ago this month [that is, as of May 2014].
“Cheryl (Casino) Houston (MCHS ’63 – 11D) has noted, in a recent email: ‘He went to the University of Illinois in Urbana to study aeronautical engineering (from what I remember), but he was hit by a car while riding his bike. It was a very sad tragedy. Wally [Walter Rhead – 11B], Ulrich [Ulrich Laska – 11B], and Kathy Dawson (another 11D student) and I were students in Grade 12 at Montreal High at the time he died and we were all devastated. We all attended his funeral.'”
[End of text]
Recent comments at Preserved Stories website
A number of people have added comments, in relation students who have passed away, at recent posts about the reunion:
John W. Scott
Graeme Decarie, in a comment at the above-noted post, notes:
“I found the picture of John Scott particularly saddening. After a life spent facing new students, one develops an instinct about each of the students from his/her appearance. And my sense is that looking at him in a class I would have seen a particularly decent person, the sort it is a pleasure to see in a class.”
[End of text]
Gok Gee Wing
In a comment at the above-noted post, Harry Chan writes:
“Gok Gee Wing died in a tragic accident when he was in his early twenties. I knew the family well. They lived on St. Evariste. Could not find his obituary but did find one of his father that recounts the family’s interesting history. His younger brother Simon, became an endocrinologist.”
[End of text]