Following news update is from Mimico Residents Association:
March 2013 Community News
Mimico Residents Association ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Date: Thursday, March 21st
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Mimico Baptist Church, 80 Hillside Ave
Reminder: There will be a membership desk where members can check their Membership status and renew/pay their membership dues – $10 for the year per household.
People who are not residents of Mimico, those under 16, and local businesses may join as non-voting members and be included on our email list and in the soon-to-be-restricted Members areas of our website.
Review membership information on our website.
Mimico 20/20: Secondary Plan to go to Community Council Tuesday, April 9
The staff report and Mimico-by-the-Lake Secondary Plan are scheduled to be presented to Community Council on April 9, 2013. An evening time of 7 p.m. has been scheduled to hear deputations. More information can be found on our website.
Mimico 20/20: MRA Survey and City Planning Update
Our February 2013 survey focused specifically on the following:
- how respondents would vote if they were a city councillor,
- opinions specific to affordable housing, and
- 1:1 rental replacement options.
Letter to MPP Broten re: Bill 20 & OMB Jurisdiction
MRA has sent a letter to MPP Broten requesting her support for the private members bill sponsored by MPP Rosario Marchese, namely Bill 20, Respect for Municipalities Act (City of Toronto), 2013, which underwent first reading in January. The Bill proposes exempting Toronto from the jurisdiction of the Ontario Municipal Board in many respects.
Letter to Councillor Grimes re: Section 37 and Mimico parks
MRA has submitted a letter to Councillor Grimes requesting information on parks and other projects related to Section 37 monies that have been collected and are on hold.
Read the complete letter.
Update on Councillor Grimes’s Recent Motion re: Mimico 20/20
Councillor Grimes’ recent Motion was debated at City Council late in the evening on February 21st. The Motion was deleted and replaced with the following:
“City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, to address, in the context of the final Mimico 20/20 Report, how recommended policies and initiatives will create a framework to encourage investment in the area.”
Ward 5 & 6 Air Quality Study update
Display boards from the Feb 28 Open House are posted on the City website here.
The study will identify…
- the cumulative contribution of all emission sources;
- what sources, how much, from where, and when
- both trans-boundary and local sources
- the emission sources (type and location) that most affect local air quality in Wards 5 & 6;
- the cumulative resultant concentrations, which will be measured against Ministry of the Environment standards;
- the data that Toronto Public Health needs to assess the cumulative health impacts of the contaminants; and
- the information needed to inform reports and action by City Council, the Ministry of Environment, stakeholders and local residents.
Update on ML Ready Mix and Judson Residents
Councillor Grimes proposed a motion to create a West Concrete Campus in Etobicoke at Etobicoke York Community Council (EYCC) on February 26th. The motion will be going forward to City Council on March 21.
MRA issued a supporting letter fully supporting this motion. We believe this could be a solution to a serious problem of batching plants operating in close proximity to homes in areas of Mimico.
Read the complete letter
Lakeshore Villages (BIA) Magazine now available online
You can find the latest issue here.