Sept. 20, 2014: Join Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe, in re-enacting the first day of his 1793 journey up the Toronto Carrying Place (close to venue for MCHS Sixties Reunion)

The following information is from David Juliusson who shares this note:

“Madeleine is the expert on the Carrying Place and the original portage trails along the Humber.”

I’ve included this item in the military history category – as well as in the Malcolm Campbell High School category. The latter inclusion is because our MCHS Sixties Reunion on Oct. 17, 2015 will take place at Old Mill Toronto, located by the historic Humber River.

Message forwarded by David Juliusson:

HUMBER HERITAGE COMMITTEE HISTORICAL WALK

Join Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe, in reenacting the first day of his 1793 journey up the Toronto Carrying Place.

Saturday September 20th, 2014 assembling at the Rousseaux Site, by the Humber,
9:00 A.M., departing 9:30 (parking area south of 8 South Kingsway, Petro Canada Station).

Ending at the Governor’s 1793 camp site at Eglinton and the Humber River.

Colin Heath, Past President of the Simcoe Branch of the United Empire Loyalists, is the Gov. and Historical commentary by guide Madeleine McDowell.
416-767-7633

no charge.

Here’s the poster:

The image, drawing of John Graves Simcoe, is included with the poster.


LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR  JOHN GRAVES SIMCOE

&  THE HUMBER HERITAGE COMMITTEE

INVITE YOU TO JOIN THEM IN REENACTING

THE FIRST DAY OF THE GOV’S 1793 JOURNEY  UP THE TORONTO CARRYING PLACE ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20th 2014

ASSEMBLING AT THE ROUSSEAUX SITE, SOUTH OF 8 THE SOUTH KINGSWAY (PETRO CANADA) TO DEPART NORTHWARDS AT

 9:30 A.M.

THE EXPEDITION WILL TAKE THE FORM OF A PARADE, PERMITTING PEOPLE TO JOIN AND LEAVE ALONG THE ROUTE AND WILL END BEFORE 2;00 P.M. AT THE 1793 CAMPSITE AT EGLINTON AND THE HUMBER RIVER

Early drop off at Etienne Brule Park

THERE WILL BE AN HISTORICAL COMMENTARY BY GUIDE MADELEINE McDOWELL

Info: 416-767-7633

This year marks the two hundred and twenty-first anniversary of the expedition.

Comment

The year 1793 also marks the year in which Colonel Samuel Smith acquired, as part of a land grant, all of what is now Long Branch (Toronto) alone with land extending beyond that.

 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter Captcha Here : *

Reload Image