Etobicoke-South Cycling Committee (ESCC)
Monday, November 12 at 7 PM
LAMP Community Room, 185 Fifth Street, Etobicoke
1. Donald Weidman of Bikes and Transit.com would like to meet with us. He has had great success in getting people using the GO Train to do bike travels. He now wants to focus on commuter bike and train options and sees a real opportunity around the Mimico GO Station and the connections along the Royal York bike lane. He will explain at the meeting.
2. We completed our final Heritage Bike ride of the season on October 27. We will be reviewing how it went and how we can plan more in the future. This includes potential funding sources. Also an update on Thomas’ proposal of how the idea was received by Heritage Toronto.
3. Safe Routes to School Program. We have had success by becoming involved in the TDSB cycling subcommittee, getting bike racks in 4 schools in our neighbourhood and having support from Trustee Gough. We have a solid base established. How do we grow it?
4. The work is beginning on the Etobicoke Creek bike trail. The problem is getting the ministry of Transportation to allow it to go under the Gardiner Expressway. If we can get their approval, the money and political will are in place to extend the trail into Ward 5 and connect with Mississauga. How can we help facilitate that?
5. Updates on Mimico Creek if any.
6. Jim Carr has been in discussion with Minto Development about the townhouse development on 24th St. about cycling and how they can give some infrastructure. Updates/developments from his discussions.
7. Finally, we have been looking at signs on our trails. There is bewildering number of them. How can we get simple signage that is concise and easily understood?
LPCC AGM & Guest Speaker
Lakeshore Planning Council Corp. is hosting its Annual General Meeting:
Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm.
LAMP Community Health Centre
185 Fifth Street
Each year LPCC selects a new Steering Committee and this is your chance to get involved in making a difference in Etobicoke Lakeshore in 2013.
Special guest speaker is Christopher Glaisek, VP of Planning and Design for WATERFRONToronto, who will share the planning vision for communities along
Flyer for this meeting:
Parent Involvement — Parents Make a Difference Conference (Nov. 17, 2012)
This is a gentle reminder from Trustee Gough’s office to be sure to register for the Parent Involvement — Parents Make a Difference Conference – Parents Engaged in Education to Close the Achievement Gap.
It will be held Saturday November 17 from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm at Earl Haig Sec. School. There is a free bus leaving from Lakeshore Collegiate at 8 am but you must register by today to reserve a space.
Also, an important public consultation meeting, Have Your Say – Shaping the Future of the TDSB, will be held on Wednesday November 14 at 7 pm at Islington JMS (44 Cordova Ave.) Child minding is available. You can register by calling 416 397 3205 or email email@example.com.
If you are unable to attend on November 14th, be sure to visit the website www.tdsb.on.ca/shapeOURfuture to complete the survey online or participate in the virtual consultation through email and twitter on Monday November 19.
Trustee Gough hopes that you will take part in this valuable process to bridge today’s education with the future needs of our schools and students’ learning.
Constituency Assistant to
TRUSTEE, WARD 3 ETOBICOKE LAKESHORE
Toronto District School Board
5050 Yonge Street, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M2N 5N8
Trustee Pamela Gough’s Website
Announcements, News, Events: Office of Ward 6 Councillor Mark Grimes
Pleases see PDF for complete stories and more (click on following link to open it):
Bullying Awareness Week in Toronto
This week Mayor Rob Ford to officially proclaimed the week of November 12 to 18 Bullying Awareness Week in Toronto. This is the 10th anniversary of Bullying Awareness Week at City Hall
The End of an Era – Last Remnants of Lake Shore Motel Strip Disappears
Thursday November 12 at 8:30 a.m. will mark the end of an era in South Etobicoke when the wrecking ball takes down the last remaining motel on the Lake Shore Motel Strip: the iconic Beach Motel.
Council Highlights — October 30 , 31 and November 1, 2012
Council Highlights is an informal summary of decisions made by Toronto City Council. The City Clerk provides the formal documentation at http://www.toronto.ca/council.
Councillor Mark Grimes’ Office
Ward 6, Etobicoke Lakeshore
100 Queen Street West, Suite C48
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Tel: 416-397-9273 Fax: 416-397-9279